Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml
Alfacalcidol 2 mcg / 1 ml
Platinum Pharmaceuticals (Pvt) Ltd
How to use, Side effects, Uses, Formula & Composition
Vitamins are vital for the body to keep working efficiently and effectively. They play an important role in the production of the body cells, and enzymes, boost our immune system as well as help us absorb essential minerals. Regulation of adequate calcium levels in our body is an interplay between kidney, bones, parathyroid hormones, and mineral levels. In case of disturbance of either one of these factors, calcium balance in the body is lost resulting in too low or too high levels depending on the condition. Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml is a supplementary drug used to treat conditions affecting bones such as low levels of blood calcium (Hypocalcemia), changes in Parathyroid hormone which help regulate calcium, osteomalacia related to chronic kidney disease, vitamin D dependent rickets, and some other conditions. Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml is chemically composed of Alfacalcidol which is similar to naturally produced Vitamin D3, crucial to the absorption and maintenance of calcium levels in our body.
Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml works by making up for the functions of 1,25-dihydroxy vitamin D in deficiency states. After activation in the liver, it helps absorb calcium and phosphate from the gut and decreases filtering out of these minerals via kidneys out of the body when its levels are running low. Vitamin D also keeps PTH release in check when calcium levels are steady. Regular monitoring of Vitamin D levels is required to avoid any excess during your treatment. Make sure to stick to the prescribed regimen.
Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml is available in the form of oral liquid bottled as drops, to be taken directly through the mouth. In general, the dose is set depending on the deficiency status which may be too low or moderate, in which case it is best adjusted as per individual needs. Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml is more suited for younger children without compliance or the ability to swallow tablets. It may be started on a low dose and increased afterward to match the clinical benefits of the therapy. It is mandatory to regularly check calcium levels at the end of each month and 2 – 3 weeks in case your dose is being adjusted. The most common side effects observed with Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml are nausea, fatigue, dizziness, itching, etc
Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml can be used to treat the following in patients with kidney failure or chronic kidney disease:
- Patients with hypocalcemia
- Secondary Hyperparathyroidism
- Vitamin D dependent rickets
How Does Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml Work
Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml is chemically composed of Alfacalcidol, which helps absorb calcium and phosphate from the gut and decrease the filtering out of calcium via a reabsorption mechanism in the kidneys to regulate the levels. Vitamin D also keeps PTH release in check when calcium levels are steady, preventing its release.
How To Use Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml
Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml is available in the form of oral drops, to be taken through the mouth once a day. Make sure to take the correct potency prescribed to you. Uncap the bottle, there is no need to thoroughly shake it. A dropper is attached at the top of the bottle by the manufacturer for easy administration, directly drop the prescribed amount into the mouth (back of the throat or on the tongue), alternatively Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml can also be dropped onto a spoon and taken if this is easier.
In general, the dose is set depending on the deficiency status and kidney function which may be too low or moderate, in which case it is best adjusted as per individual needs. If your levels are not critically low, the treatment is initiated with a low dose and increased afterward to match the clinical benefits of the therapy if required. It is mandatory to regularly check calcium, PTH, and alkaline phosphatase (enzyme associated with calcium absorption in the gut) levels every week in the beginning followed by after a month or 2 – 3 weeks in case your dose is being adjusted.
During the treatment, the doctor may alter the dosage (either increase or decrease) after a period of a few weeks depending on the patient’s response to treatment and any adverse effects felt by the patient. It is advised that the drug is taken at the same time each day, an alarm or mobile phone application can be placed to remind patients to take Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml at the proper time each day. Take it as per prescription, do not take more than advised. Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml is more suited for younger children and babies without compliance or the ability to swallow tablets.
Available Potency and forms of Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml
Oral drops – 2 mcg/ 1 ml
Starting dose: 10 drops every day
- Newborn Infants: 1 to 2 drops per kg of body weight
- Children weighing less than 20 kgs: 1 drop per 2 kgs of body weight
- Children weighing more than 20 kgs: 10 drops per day
*the number of drops may be increased or decreased as per your deficiency status. In case of severe deficiency states up to 30 drops can be taken to fulfill the need. Always follow your prescription from a doctor
The starting dose is 5 drops each day.
Pregnancy Use And Lactation
Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml must always be discussed with your doctor first before starting. Due to scarce scientific data available, it is not advised during pregnancy or if you are trying to conceive due to the risk of abnormalities in the unborn baby. If you are undergoing treatment with Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml and become pregnant, inform your doctor immediately, the doctor may ask you to stop using Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml or prescribe a suitable alternative unless considered necessary. In the case of lactating mothers, please consult your doctor regarding the safety of Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml.
Please tell your doctor if you have a history of any of the following before using Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml:
- Allergic reaction to Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml or any other drug or ingredient
- Pregnancy / Lactating mothers
- Hypervitaminosis D
- Calcification in bodily organs
Please tell your doctor about any of the following conditions before using Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml:
- Please read the label carefully, since Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml may contain contents that may cause you allergies
- Ensure your calcium levels are low since Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml can increase calcium levels in the blood
- Vitamin D levels in the blood must also be checked a few weeks after starting treatment, or alteration of doses to avoid excess of this mineral called Hypervitaminosis D
- Please get your blood work done regularly to assess PTH, calcium, phosphate, alkaline phosphatase, and vitamin D levels to check the efficacy of Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml particularly at the start of your treatment and when dose adjustment is being done 2 to 4 weeks
- In patients suffering from heart and chronic kidney disease, increased stiffness of blood vessels may occur, called atherosclerosis, hence caution is advised
- You may also be prescribed some calcium supplements or phosphate-binding drugs to maintain a balance of these minerals in your body
- If you also suffer from an autoimmune condition like sarcoidosis, caution is advised since you may be sensitive to vitamin D. Enzyme responsible for activation of vitamin D is in excess, therefore regulation issues may occur
Interactions With Other Medications
Please tell your doctor about the use of the following before using Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml:
- Anti-seizure/convulsants like carbamazepine, phenytoin, etc
- Antacids (containing aluminum, magnesium)
- Calcium channels blockers like diltiazem
- Diuretics like thiazide diuretics
Common Adverse Effects
Like most medicines, Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml has certain side effects which include:
- Stomach problems (such as cramps, nausea, and or diarrhea)
- Heartburn/ indigestion
- Skin rash
These effects tend to be mild and resolve in a few days of taking Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml.
Rare Adverse Effects
If any of the following adverse effects are seen or felt, the patient is advised to immediately contact their doctor.
- Muscular aches
- Joint pain
- Muscle cramps
- Impaired wound healing especially in the jaw
- Profuse Sweating
- Hypervitaminosis D (increased thirst, urination, loss of weight, etc.)
How To Cope With Some Of The Adverse Effects
- Headaches – In which case make sure you rest and drink plenty of fluids. Avoid the use of alcohol. Take a prescribed painkiller. Consult your doctor if the headaches last longer than a week or are severe
- Feeling or being sick (nausea or vomiting) or diarrhea – Avoid eating rich or spicy food. It might help to take medication after food. If you’re sick, try drinking small, frequent sips of water.
- Heartburn – This can be dealt with by chewing on mint-flavored gum that’ll help neutralize the acid in the body. Standing up straighter, adding ginger to the daily diet, elevating the patient’s upper body, and having licorice supplements has shown to provide relief.
- Skin Rash – This can be eased by applying soothing and healing lotions or creams such as calamine lotion/cream. Applying a cold compress to the rash helps reduce itchiness and redness caused by the rash. Antihistamine (prescribed by a doctor) is also recommended as an effective way to combat any skin rash.
- Fatigue – Patients experiencing this adverse effect are advised to take deep breaths, intake tea or coffee, get a good night’s rest, and not overburden themselves for a few days.
#1. How To Store Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml?
Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml is to be kept away from the reach of children, in a cool dry place away from direct sunlight and humidity as that tends to ruin certain drugs. Once Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml is uncapped, it must be used within 2 to 3 months. It should be kept in the refrigerator between 5 to 10 °C
#2. What If I Take Too Much Of Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml?
The amount of medication that can result in severe side effects varies from person to person and the dose ingested. An overdose results in slowing down of heart rate and difficulty breathing accompanied by dizziness and fainting spells. Rush to the nearby emergency care.
#3. What If I Miss A Dose Of Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml?
If you miss a dose of the medication, make sure you take it as soon as possible on that same day. If you don’t remember you missed the dose until the next dosage time or the next day, do not double the dose and take your medication as per schedule.
#4. How Is Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml Supposed To Be Taken?
Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml is to be ingested whole, without crushing it or splitting the tablets in half. Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml can be ingested with or without food, with a glass of water, once a day.
#5. Can I Take Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml During My Pregnancy?
No, since there is inadequate safety data available regarding Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml, always ask your doctor first.
#6. Is It Safe To Have Painkillers While Taking Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml?
Yes, painkillers can be taken as usual, following a doctor’s prescription. Some drugs are filtered out through or affect the kidneys in which case always ask your doctor. These may include high-dose naproxen, aspirin, and some others.
#7. What Lab Tests Will Be Prescribed While Undergoing Treatment With Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml And How Often?
Patients are advised to have their kidney and liver function tests done periodically along with blood tests to keep a check on serum phosphate, potassium, calcium levels, vitamin D, Alkaline phosphatase, and PTH. these may be repeated every week or at an interval of 2 to 4 weeks as suggested by your doctor.
#8. Is It Safe To Have Antacids For Indigestion Along With Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml?
No, As certain antacids containing magnesium and/or aluminum may interact with the absorption of Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml by the body and are therefore advised to ask your doctor first for a suitable medicine or take a minimum of 2 hours before the intake of Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml.
#9. Is Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml Safe To Give To Elderly Patients?
For elderly patients the dosage of the drug may be lower than normal due to decreased kidney function, in such cases, the doctor may prescribe a low dose of the Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml which can be increased or decreased gradually.
#10. What If I Forget To Take The Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml?
It is advised that the drug is taken at the same time each day to have sustained levels in the blood, an alarm can be placed to remind patients to take Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml at the proper time and at least an hour before having any meal. If a patient misses a dose of Alfa-D 2mcg/ml Drop 20 ml, they should take it immediately but if the time for the next dose of the drug is near then it’s beneficial for patients to skip the missed dose and take the tablets as per schedule, doubling of doses has proven to cause severe side effects.
#11. Are there any lifestyle changes that I need to make for my condition?
If you are suffering from osteodystrophy or another bone condition due to kidney disease, try to avoid activities that are likely to cause trauma to your bones both inside and outside your home. Try to incorporate a healthy balanced diet, taking sunbath or sun exposure a few times a week also helps the body make Vitamin D naturally. Some sort of regular exercise is also important, although it should be light in intensity to avoid injuring bones. Avoid phosphates in your diet which are included as additives in food/beverages like cheese, beer, soda/cola, deli meat, processed meat items, pre-cooked/baked items, sardine, etc.