Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S
Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S is prescribed to for the treatment of anxiety, panic attacks, depression and similar illnesses
Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S contains citalopram
Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S is commonly prescribed to patients aged 18 years and above
Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S is to be taken orally (via mouth)
Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S comes in the form of tablets
Citalopram 20 mg
How to use, Side effects, Uses, Formula & Composition
Physical and mental well-being is of paramount importance that ascertains a well-balanced, contended life. Mental health issues like depression, anxiety amongst others can disturb this balance and negatively impact. To help treat these conditions a lot of medicines are available. Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S belongs to a class of drugs called “antidepressants” used to treat depression, anxiety, and panic attacks. Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S is Selective Serotonin reuptake inhibitors (SSRIs), chemically composed of Citalopram, is available in form of oral tablets to be taken strictly as prescribed by your doctor.
Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S works by increasing the levels of an important neurotransmitter in the brain, serotonin also known as “Mood elevator/stabilizer”. Low levels of this neurotransmitter can lead to depression, anxiety, and mood swings. It is available on prescription, as tablets, to be strictly used under doctor’s supervision. Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S has a slow onset of therapeutic effects which may take up to 4-6 weeks or even longer to improve symptoms. Abrupt withdrawal of Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S can cause withdrawal symptoms for which reason it is tapered down gradually before stopping the treatment altogether.
Dosage of Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S depends on age, the severity of the condition, patients’ response to the medicine, and their comorbidities. Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S is not prescribed to patients under 18 years of age, however, in some cases when other safer medicines fail, doctors may find it a useful therapy for younger patients. In all the patients taking Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S especially under 18 years, careful monitoring is advised since there is a risk of increased suicidal tendencies. Precaution is also advised in elderly patients when prescribing Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S. Common side effects of this medication are nausea, headache, dryness in the mouth, sleepiness, and dizziness.
Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S is prescribed to adults above 18 years of age and it is used in the treatment of:
- Major depressive disorder
- Generalized anxiety disorder
How does Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S work
It is an “antidepressant” belonging to selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRIs) that works by increasing the levels of natural substances called neurotransmitters. Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S increases the levels of an important neurotransmitter in the brain, serotonin also known as “Mood elevator/stabilizer. This helps improve helps persons and related conditions.
How to use Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S
Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S is available in the form of tablets. Swallow the capsules with a glass of water without chewing. In general, the treatment with Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S is started at the lowest effective dose (10 or 20 mg) which is gradually increased over weeks as tolerance develops. Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S is usually prescribed to be taken once a day for depression and related conditions. Tolerance is common to develop with such drugs; dosage is titrated accordingly to match the therapeutic dose.
It can be taken with or without food, preferably around the same time each day. Taking higher doses of Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S or more often than prescribed will not make it more effective, and can increase side effects. Moreover, withdrawal symptoms can occur if the drug is stopped abruptly, therefore it must be gradually tapered down over a perioovernths before stopping completely. Treatment with Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S may continue for a prolonged duration lasting up to several months.
Available Potency and forms of Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S
Tablet – 10 mg
Tablet – 20 mg
Starting dose 20 mg, once a day orally
The dose may be gradually increased to a dose of 40 mg once a day
Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S is not commonly prescribed to patients under 18 years of age. In some cases, doctors may find it a useful therapy when other drugs fail to help.
Unapproved use in children under 18 years of age, starting Dose: 10 mg once a day
The dose may be gradually increased to a dose of 20 mg once a day
Starting dose 20 mg/day, once a day
The elderly dose is monitored closely to avoid side effects
IMPORTANT: Initially all the starting doses are kept low which may be increased gradually over weeks as per requirement.
Special Dose: Dose adjustment may be required in cases of severe liver and chronic kidney disease
Pregnancy use and lactation
Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S is FDA pregnancy risk category C (Harmful to the fetus in animal studies), therefore it should not be taken during pregnancy unless considered necessary. If you are pregnant, think you may be pregnant, or are planning to have a baby, please consult your doctor before using Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S. If you are breastfeeding, please consult your doctor before taking Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S.
Please inform your doctor if you have a history of any before using Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S:
- Allergic reaction to Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S or other SSRIs – indicated by skin rash, swelling around the face area, wheezing, chest tightness, and breathing difficulty
- Kidney impairment
- Liver impairment
- Have a history of taking MAO inhibitor (e.g., phenelzine, selegiline, tranylcypromine) in the last 14 days
- Gastric ulcer past or current
Please tell your doctor about any of the following conditions while using Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S:
- History of drug-associated allergies
- Concomitant use with other antidepressants or anxiolytics. Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S must not be used if you have taken MAO inhibitors in the last 14 days to avoid serious adverse effects
- Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S can alter platelet count in the blood which may put you at risk of easy bruising, nosebleeds. Also taking blood thinners like aspirin, warfarin, etc. may increase this risk
- Elderly patients must practice caution due to age-related conditions, especially it can worsen hyponatremia
- High risk of bone fractures, avoid activities can increase the risk of falling or injury
- Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S may alter heart rhythm (prolonged QT interval), which must be closely monitored especially if you have an existing heart condition.
- Hyponatremia (low sodium levels in the blood), especially in the elderly and patients on diuretics
- History of mania or seizures should be monitored carefully
- Be watchful for signs of Serotonin syndrome including confusion, agitation, insomnia, etc.
- Uncontrolled hypertension
- Raised intraocular pressure/ glaucoma
- Renal impairment
- There is an increased risk of behavioral changes and suicidal tendency when taking Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S, the caretaker must closely observe the behavior and report any unusual symptom
- If you are diabetic carefully monitor your blood sugar levels if you are taking Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S because it can affect your blood sugar levels
- Alcohol consumption must be avoided with Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S
- Do not stop taking Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S all of a sudden without asking a doctor, it can cause withdrawal symptoms
Interaction with other medications
Certain medications could interact with Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S, hence, in that case, your doctor might alter your dosage. A few of the interacting drugs are given below:
Please inform your doctor about the use of the following before taking Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S:
- MAO inhibitors (phenelzine, selegiline, tranylcypromine, etc)
- TCAs (amitryptaline, doxepin, imipramine, etc)
- Other SSRIs like sertaline
- Chemotherapeutic drugs like vinblastine
- Antipsychotics like pimozide
- Omeprazole / esomeprazole
- Anti-clotting like Clopidogrel, warfarin, aspirin, Urokinase, etc
- CNS active drugs e.g. carbamezapine, diazepam, phenytoin
- Methylene Blue
Like most medicines, Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S has some side effects which include:
Common Side effects
- Insomnia or drowsiness
Rare Side Effects
- Hypersensitivity/allergic skin reactions
- Loss of appetite
- Sexual dysfunction
- Hot flushes
- Visual disturbances
- Weight changes
- Appetite loss
- Movement disorders
- Muscle twitching
- Musculoskeletal pain
- Postural hypotension
- Cardiac arrhythmias
- Taste disturbances
HOW TO DEAL WITH SOME OF THE SIDE EFFECTS
- Fatigue – Patients experiencing this adverse effect, are advised to take deep breaths, intake tea or coffee, get a good night’s rest, and not overburden themselves for a few days.
- Feeling drowsy – If the medication makes you feel drowsy or sleepy, stop what you’re doing and sit or lie down until you feel better and do not rise too fast or immediately from a sitting or lying down position to a standing posture. Do not drive or use tools or machinery in case of any of these effects.
- Headaches – In which case make sure you rest and drink plenty of fluids. Avoid the use of alcohol. Take a prescribed painkiller. Consult your doctor if the headaches last longer than a week or are severe
- Feeling or being sick (nausea or vomiting) or diarrhea – Avoid eating rich or spicy food. It might help to take medication after food. If you’re sick, try drinking small, frequent sips of water.
- Feeling dizzy (lightheaded) or weak – If the medication makes you feel dizzy or weak, stop what you’re doing and sit or lie down until you feel better and do not rise too fast or immediately from a sitting or lying down position to a standing posture. Do not drive or use tools or machinery in case of any of these effects.
- Muscular Aches And Pains – A hot or cold compress can be placed at the area of discomfort to bring relief; an over-the-counter pain reliever such as paracetamol or ibuprofen can be ingested to bring ease as well. Avoid high-intensity exercise while suffering from muscular pain.
- Constipation – Can be combated by adding more fibers to the patient’s diet, asking the patient to drink plenty of fluids, and increasing their physical activity to trigger contractions in the intestines.
- Flatulence – Can be eased by consuming smaller, more frequent meals that don’t trigger your flatulence. Getting a minimum of 30 minutes of daily exercise has shown great results in combating flatulence.
- Skin Rash can be eased by applying soothing and healing lotions or creams such as calamine lotion/cream. Apply a cold compress to the rash to help reduce itchiness and redness caused by the rash. An antihistamine (prescribed by a doctor) is also recommended as an effective way to combat any skin rash.
- Change in taste – This tends to go away as soon as the patient stops taking the medicine but while treatment; saltwater with baking soda (half a teaspoon of salt and baking soda in water) rinses and chewing on sugar-free gum can help dissipate the change in taste.
- Blurred vision – This side effect tends to go away on its own in a few days; patients are advised to not operate heavy machinery or drive any motorized vehicles in the meantime.If blurred vision persists, please contact your doctor.
- Dehydration – Patients are recommended to always care around a water bottle with them wherever they go and periodically keep sipping to prevent thirst and extremely dry mouth. Ice pops in hot weather and energy drinks (verified by the doctor) help combat dehydration.
- Dryness – Apply a moisturizer to the skin and wait for 10-15 minutes after which apply Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S onto the skin. This will prevent skin from getting dry and flaky.
- Redness Of The Skin – This can be combated by applying a cold pack to the affected area.
# 1. What Exactly Does Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S Do?
It is an “antidepressant” selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRIs) that works by increasing the levels of natural substances – neurotransmitters particularly serotonin in the brain, also known as “Mood elevator/stabilizer.
#2. How Long Does It Take For Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S To Start Work?
Normally it takes 4-6 weeks for Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S to show its effects clinically.
# 3. For How Long Will I Have To Take Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
Time duration depends on why you’re taking Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S. For depression or anxiety, you will probably be asked to take it for a further 6 months or more after you start feeling better. Stopping it too soon might bring back your depression or anxiety.
# 4. Can I Stop Taking Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
Do not just stop taking the medicine, make sure to complete your treatment course even if you feel better. Stopping it suddenly may cause withdrawal problems like difficulty sleeping, nausea, vomiting, sweating, and uncontrollable muscle movements.
#5. Is Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S Highly Addictive?
No, as such it is not considered to be addictive; but drug dependency can develop. Also stopping the medicine abruptly can cause undesirable withdrawal symptoms.
#6. Does Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S Interfere With Warfarin? Is It Safe To Take Both Together?
Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S is known to increase bleeding tendency. Taking these medicines together could increase the risk of bleeding or you may experience petechiae or purpura.
#7. Can I Drink Alcohol With Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
Consuming alcohol when taking Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S may cause excessive drowsiness and could increase the risk of liver damage, hence should be avoided.
#8. What If I Take Too Much Of Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
If you have taken too much of the prescribed Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S you may experience symptoms of overdose for example, fast, pounding, or irregular heartbeat, upset stomach, blurred vision, fainting, dizziness, and seizures. Contact your doctor immediately if you have any of these symptoms.
#9. What If I Take Too Much Of Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
If you’re taking Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S once a day then take the missed dose as soon as you remember, unless it’s less than 12 hours until your next dose, in which case you should skip the missed dose. If it helps to remind you, set an alarm so you do not miss any dose. Make sure to complete your course of treatment even if you feel better and think you do not need to take it anymore.
#10. Can I Take Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S During Pregnancy Or Breastfeeding?
If you are pregnant, think you may be pregnant, or are planning to have a baby, please consult your doctor before using Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S. If you are breastfeeding, please consult your doctor before taking Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S.
#11. Can Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S Cause Drowsiness?
It may cause drowsiness, dizziness, fatigue (tiredness), and visual disturbances. However, it is uncommon and is not reported by many people. If you experience any of these symptoms avoid driving or operating heavy machinery.
#12. Will Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S Affect My Blood Pressure?
Monitor your blood pressure regularly as it may cause an increase in blood pressure, especially during the first month of treatment. It can cause changes in heart rhythms depicted in ECG readings (prolonged QT interval).
#13. Can I Drive Or Ride A Bike After Taking Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
Make sure you know how your body reacts while using ‘product’ as it is known to make you feel dizzy. Do not drive or use any machinery until you feel normal again
#14. How Should Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S Be Stored?
Store it at room temperature, away from excess heat and moisture. Make sure it is not consumed by pets, children, and other people. Dispose of the unused medicine.
#15. Can Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S Affect My Sexual Activity?
Sexual dysfunction has been reported with Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S. It may cause a decrease in libido. You must discuss this with your consultant.
#16. Will Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S Affect My Fertility?
There have been reports of reduced sperm count in men taking Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S which returned to normal after discontinuation. Discuss this concern with your doctor.
#17. Can I Take My Acidity medicines with Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S
Drugs like omeprazole and esomeprazole are likely to cause an increase in your side effects. Inform your doctor if you are taking either one of these drugs or any other antacid in which case the doctor will possibly restrict your Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S dose up to 20 mg per day.
#18. What Foods Should I Avoid During Treatment With Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
Certain foods may interact with Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S affecting its efficacy. Food products with tyramine in it should be avoided, these may include, cheese, milk, chicken liver, beef, soya beans, banana, etc, interaction with Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S can lead to dangerously high blood pressure. Herbs like cannabis Sativa (from which many hallucinogenic medicines are prepared) and St. John’s wort (Hypericum perforatum) should be avoided. Alcohol may increase sedation which must also be avoided.
#19. What Tests Should I Undergo During Treatment With Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
The patient is generally advised to keep in check their serum sodium, potash, sodium, and glucose levels. Also APTT, INR must be checked. Glit Pam 20mg Tablet 10 ‘S can alter heart rhythm, ECG may also be required occasionally, especially when adjusting or starting with a dose.