Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S
Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is prescribed to treat type 2 diabetes
Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S may also be prescribed as treatment of Polycistic Ovary Syndrome
Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S contains Metformin
Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is to be taken orally (via mouth)
Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is prescribed to individuals aged 18 years and above
Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is to be administered under doctor’s advisement
Metformin 500 mg
How to use, Side effects, Uses, Formula & Composition
Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S belongs to a class of drugs called “hypoglycemics” (anti-diabetics) that are used to treat and prevent the risk of developing type 2 diabetes.
Type 2 diabetes, also known as non insulin-dependent diabetes, is a condition resulting from a combination of insulin resistance, i.e, body cells failing to respond properly to the insulin produced, inadequate insulin secretion, and excessive production of glucagon. Progression of the disease may lead to insulin deficiency. This causes hyperglycemia (high blood sugar levels)
This medicine is available in tablet (immediate and extended release form) and liquid form on prescription. It is prescribed to lower blood sugar levels, usually when diet and exercise fail to control it.
Dosage depends on the patients health, age, kidney function and liver function. Elderly, weak and malnourished patients should not be given the maximum dose of the product. It is advised to not give this product in patients with hepatic impairment (liver damage) and those with a low eGFR. (estimated glomerular filtration rate – a number based on creatinine levels in the blood indicating kidney functionality) In such a case dosage needs to be adjusted in accordance to the value obtained for eGFR.
Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is also known to be used in the treatment of PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome – hormonal disorder common in women) by decreasing the insulin and blood sugar levels.
Common side effects of this medication are nausea, vomiting, stomach ache, loss of appetite and metallic taste.
It is prescribed to adult patients and children above 10 years of age.
Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S can be used to treat:
- Type 2 diabetes (high blood sugar levels) – with or without sulphonylureas and as an adjunctive therapy to diet and exercise
- PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome)
How does Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S work
It is an anti diabetic medication that works by decreasing the amount of sugar released into the blood by the liver, delaying sugar absorption from the intestines and increasing the body’s responsiveness to insulin.
How to use Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S
It is better to take the medication with a meal to avoid side effects. Swallow the tablet whole with a glass of water.
Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S comes as two different types of tablets:
- Standard/Immediate release tablets : since the product is released quickly into the body, it is taken more than once a day depending on the dosage. Dose is slowly increased to avoid side effects. For example:
- Initial dose: 500 mg twice daily or 850 mg once daily
- Dose titration: Increase in increments of 500 mg weekly or 850 mg every 2 weeks, as tolerated
- Maintenance dose: 2000 mg/day in divided doses
- Maximum dose: 2550 mg/day
If the side effects of the product in standard release form are intolerable, you will be advised to switch to slow release tablets
- Extended/Slow release tablets : since they dissolve slower than standard release tablets, a tablet a day, taken with the evening meal, is often sufficient.
- Initial dose: 500 to 1000 mg once daily
- Dose titration: Increase in increments of 500 mg weekly, as tolerated
- Maximum dose: 2000 mg/day
- Switching to Extended-Release: Patients already receiving immediate-release may switch to extended-release; once a day at same total daily dose (up to 2000 mg/day)
Prescribed to children 10 years or older:
- Initial dose: 500 mg twice daily
- Dose titration: Increase in increments of 500 mg weekly, as tolerated; daily dose should be divided into 2 to 3 doses a day (to be taken with meals)
- Maximum dose: 2000 mg/day
- Extended-release oral suspension:
- Initial dose: 500 mg once daily (with evening meal)
- Dose titration: Increase in increments of 500 mg weekly based on glycemic control and tolerability
- Maximum dose: 2000 mg/day
Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is also available in liquid form for children and those who are unable to swallow whole tablets.
Form of Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S and dosage is prescribed by the doctor depending on age, severity of disease and comorbidities.
Pregnancy use and lactation
Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is usually safe to take during pregnancy or while breastfeeding but please consult your doctor before using the Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S if you are pregnant, planning to conceive or breast feeding.
It should be avoided in elderly, debilitated, malnourished patients.
Please inform your doctor if you have a history of any before using Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S:
- Uncontrolled diabetes (abnormal levels of blood glucose)
- Metabolic acidosis (electrolyte disorder characterized by acid-base imbalance in the body) including diabetic ketoacidosis (abnormally fast breakdown of fat into blood acids called ketones)
- Renal failure (eGFR <30mL/min/1.73m2)
- Liver impairment due to hepatic (liver) insufficiency or alcohol intoxication
- Allergy to the Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S
- Congestive heart failure (any recent history of heart attack)
- Circulation or breathing difficulties
- Severe Infections
You may have to discontinue the use of the product if you need to have:
- A test that requires an iodine containing dye to be injected into your bloodstream for eg. CT scan
- A surgery to avoid renal function complications that may arise intra operatively
Please tell your doctor about any of the following conditions while using Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S:
- Renal function to prevent lactic acidosis (excessive lactic acid accumulation in the blood)
- State of hypoxia (eg caused by heart failure or myocardial infarction)
- Surgical procedures (product should be temporarily discontinued 48 hours pre and post surgery)
- Alcohol intake
- Impaired hepatic (liver) function (avoided in patients with this condition)
- Vitamin B12 levels
- Hypoglycemia (low blood sugar levels)
It is essential to note that with patients being on anti-diabetic medicines or on insulin, a good diet needs to be maintained to avoid hyperglycemic (increase in blood sugar levels) or hypoglycemic (decrease in blood sugar levels) events
Interaction with other medications
Please inform your doctor about the use of the following before taking Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S:
- Iodinated contrast materials
- H2 receptor blocker (eg. cimetidine)
- Ranolazine (sodium channel blocker)
- Anti cancer drugs
- Corticosteroids (eg. prednisolone)
- Diuretics (eg. furosemide)
- Medicines used to treat various heart conditions (eg. digoxin) and high blood pressure – beta adrenergic blockers (eg. atenolol)
- Male (testosterone) and female (progesterone, oestrogen) hormones
- Intake of contraceptive pills may require a change in dosage of the product
Also, please inform your doctor about any other medication you might be taking to prevent any complications.
Like most medicines, Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S has some side effects which include:
- Nausea (feeling sick)
- Stomach ache
- Loss of appetite
- Metallic taste in mouth
Serious but rare:
- Breathing difficulties
- Lactic acidosis (excess lactic acid in the blood)
- Low levels of vitamin B-12
- Skin rash or itching – skin disease
- Anaphylactic (allergic) reaction
- Hypoglycemia (decrease in blood sugar levels) – Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S rarely causes hypoglycemia on its own, but when taken in combination with other diabetes medicines, for example insulin, it can result in hypoglycemia.
How to cope with some of the adverse effects
- Nausea (feeling sick) – Take Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S with meals to avoid feeling sick.
- Vomiting and Diarrhoea – Keep yourself hydrated by having lots of fluids and still if the problem persists, consult your doctor before taking any medication for vomiting and diarrhoea.
- Stomach ache – Try to rest as much as possible and have smaller and more frequent meals. Using a heat pack or hot water bottle over the area in pain might help in giving some relief. If the pain still persists and is severe, speak to your doctor.
- Loss of appetite – Have smaller meals than usual at times that you would normally eat.
- Metallic taste in the mouth – Have something that would change the taste of your mouth for example, sugar-free gum.
Inform your doctor immediately if you experience any of the serious side effects.
Key facts about Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S
- Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is used for the treatment of type 2 diabetes mellitus (condition resulting in elevated levels of sugar in the blood) and less commonly for PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome)
- It is prescribed to adults and children above 10 years of age.
- It works by decreasing the amount of sugar released into the blood by the liver, delaying sugar absorption from the intestines and increasing the body’s responsiveness to insulin.
- Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is best known to be taken with meals to avoid common side effects like nausea, vomiting, stomach ache, loss of appetite and metallic taste.
- Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is less likely to cause weight gain and hypoglycemia (decrease in blood sugar levels) compared to other diabetic medications.
- Matter of concern arises when you experience signs like chest pain, breathing difficulties, skin rashes or an allergic reaction. In that case contact your doctor immediately.
- It is important for your doctor to monitor your blood sugar levels regularly, along with repeated kidney and liver function tests to avoid any complications. Patients need to maintain a good diet to avoid hypo and hyper glycemic events.
- Prolonged use of product may lead to lactic acidosis (excess buildup of acid in the blood) as a result of loss in kidney function.
1. WHAT EXACTLY DOES Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S DO?
People with type 2 diabetes fail to respond properly to the insulin produced,secrete inadequate insulin, or produce excessive glucagon. Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S works by decreasing the amount of sugar released into the blood by the liver, delaying sugar absorption from the intestines and increasing the body’s responsiveness to insulin.
In PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome – hormonal disorder common in women) it works by decreasing the insulin and blood sugar levels.
2. WHAT ARE THE BENEFITS OF TAKING Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
It is one of the most common medicines given to patients suffering from type 2 diabetes because it not only lowers blood sugar levels but also improves HbA1c.
It can also delay the onset of type 2 diabetes in people.
One of the less common uses of Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is to treat PCOS (polycystic syndrome) by improving fertility in women and regulating their blood glucose levels.
3. IF I TAKE Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S, CAN I STOP MY DIET AND EXERCISE?
It is essential to maintain a healthy diet and continue exercising while using Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S as it works best in combination with both and also decreases the chances of severe side side effects.
4. DOES Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S CAUSE WEIGHT LOSS?
It is known to cause weight loss in individuals taking Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S most commonly in those who are overweight or obese. This does not mean that you should self prescribe this medicine to lose weight, instead consult your doctor.
5. IS IT NECESSARY TO TAKE Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S WITH FOOD?
It is advised to take Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S with or after meals to reduce side effects like, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.
6. CAN I DRINK ALCOHOL WHILE TAKING Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
Avoid drinking alcohol while you are on Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S as it can interfere with your treatment causing low blood sugar levels especially in aged patients and on occasions where you have skipped a meal.
7. HOW LONG WILL I HAVE TO TAKE Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S FOR?
If you are taking Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S in pre-diabetic condition or for PCOS (polycystic ovary syndrome), you will have to ask your doctor about how long you need to take it for. Whereas, if you are prescribed this medicine for type 2 diabetes, you will probably need to take it for the rest of your life.
8. WHAT IF I TAKE TOO MUCH OF Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
An overdose of Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S can cause serious side effects characterised by stomach ache, diarrhoea, difficulty breathing, weakness and unusual sleepiness. Contact your doctor immediately if you experience any of these signs.
9. WHAT IF I FORGET TO TAKE Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
Incase you miss a dose, take your next dose on time and do not try making up for the missed dose by doubling it up. If it helps to remind you, set an alarm so you do not miss any dose.
10. SHOULD I STOP TAKING Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S IF I AM UNWELL?
If you are dehydrated due to diarrhoea and vomiting, talk to your doctor. They might change your dosage or ask you to stop taking the medicine until you are better, depending on the severity of your condition.
11. WHAT IF Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S IS NOT WORKING?
Type 2 diabetes is a progressive disease which means, in the long run, your body might start producing even less insulin than before and its ability to utilise the insulin produced could deteriorate as well. Hence, the dose of Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is usually increased over time to manage your blood glucose levels. At times, Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S alone might not be effective and in that case your doctor will prescribe a combination of medicines so that your body is more reactive to it.
12. CAN I DRIVE OR RIDE A BIKE AFTER TAKING Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S alone might not affect your ability to drive or ride a bike, but when given in combination with other medicines, it could result in low blood sugar levels resulting in loss of concentration. To be on the safe side, always carry fast acting carbohydrates (like sweets and juice) to prevent your body from going into a state of hypoglycemia (low blood sugar)
13. HOW SHOULD Meteor 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S BE STORED?
Keep the medicine at room temperature in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight. Make sure to keep it away from pets, children and other people.