Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial
- Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial is a third generation, semisynthetic cephalosporin antibiotic
- Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial is indicated in pneumonia, intra-abdominal infections, complicated genitourinary tract infections, severe infection of respiratory tract, complicated skin and soft tissue infections, infections of bones and joints,bacterial meningitis, bacterial endocarditis, pelvic inflammatory disease and acute otitis media
- Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial contains Ceftriaxone (an antibiotic)
- Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial is safe to be administered to children and adults alike
- Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial is to be administered under doctor’s advisement
- A minimum of 6-8 hour gap is to be maintained between each dose
Ceftriaxone 250 mg
How to use, Side effects, Uses, Formula & Composition
Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial belongs to a class of drugs called “Cephalosporins”, specifically used in the treatment of bacterial infections. It is known to be Beta-Lactam, a broad-spectrum antibiotic i.e it works against a wide range of disease-causing bacteria including life-threatening severe ones. Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial is chemically composed of Ceftriaxone, a 3rd generation cephalosporin. It is effective against a variety of gram-negative bacteria and also some gram-positive microbes.
Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial is used in the treatment of bacterial infections such as bronchitis/pneumonia, gonorrhea (a sexually transmitted disease), brain infection (meningitis), pelvic inflammatory disease, and infections of the ear, abdomen, and urinary tract, in the prevention of post-operative infections. It is not effective against viral infections such as flu or viral fever. Therefore, using any antibiotic when it is not required may decrease its efficacy for future infections. On the other hand, some people might be allergic to penicillin antibiotics and hence they will not be able to take Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial.
Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial is available on prescription, as an injection. Dosage of Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial depends on age, weight, patient’s response to the medicine, and their comorbidities. Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial is given intravenously or intramuscular injection in dosage (usually 12-24 hourly) depending upon the severity of infection and kidney function. Drug dose regimen must be strictly followed without skipping to avoid bacterial resistance. Common side effects of this medication are nausea, diarrhea, and indigestion (stomach ache).
Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial is prescribed to adults and children from above 6 months of age for the treatment of:
- Infections of the respiratory tract like Pneumonia (nose, throat, larynx, trachea, bronchi, lungs)
- Bacterial meningitis
- Bacterial peritonitis
- Urinary tract (UTIs)
- Biliary tract infections
- Sexually transmitted disease (e.g; gonorrhea)
- Gynecological infections
- Bone/ joint infections
- Prophylaxis for post-operative infections
How does Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial work?
It is an antibiotic belonging to a class of drugs called cephalosporins with bactericidal action. They work by preventing the bacteria from forming an important compound (peptidoglycan) for their protective outer coating, called cell wall essential to bacterial survival, cell growth, and multiplication, thereby killing them.
How to use Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial?
Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial is exclusively used to treat bacterial infections, without any impact on other microbes such as virus, fungi. It is given intravenously or intramuscular injection in dosage (usually 12-24 hourly) depending upon the severity of infection and kidney function. Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial must not be used without doctor’s advice to avoid bacterial resistance.
Dosage is completely dependent on the weight, age, severity of infection, patient’s response to the medicine, and their comorbidities. Your doctor may vary your dosage accordingly.
Dosage forms and potencies
A new, sterile syringe must always be used and properly discarded following universal protocol for sharps disposal. Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial is available in the following potencies:
- 250 grams IM, IV
- 500 grams IM, IV
- 1 grams IV
- 2 grams IV
Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial is available in injection form which can be given via quick Intravenous infusion (3-5 minutes) or slow infusion over a period of 30 minutes. Intramuscular injection can also be administered deep into the muscle. IV antibiotics can be administered in a healthcare facility or at home and can also be diluted with other injectable solutions matching the compatibility with Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial other than calcium products, such as sodium chloride solution, ringer’s lactate, etc. When using at home make sure you understand the correct ratio and method of diluting the Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial. A healthcare provider can help you maintain IV line at home. Caregivers can also be taught the technique of administering antibiotics, alternatively, a visiting nurse can be appointed to give you the medication.
Following doses are commonly prescribed in order to treat an ongoing infection:
- Meningitis caused by bacterial species including Streptococcus pneumoniae, Meningococci, H. Influenzae being the common ones.
1- 2g IV injection once a day or in equal divided doses
- Pneumonia and lower respiratory tract infections caused by bacterial species including Streptococcus pneumoniae, Staphylococcus aureus, Klebsiella pneumoniae, H. Influenzae being the common ones.
1- 2g IV or IM injection once a day or in equally divided doses
- Urinary Tract infections by E.coli, Klebsiella pneumoniae, Proteus mirabilis, Enterococcus faecalis and Staphylococcus saprophyticus being the common ones.
1- 2g IV or IM injection once a day or in equally divided doses
- Gonococcal Infection (mild to moderate) by Neisseria gonorrhea
250- 500 g IM injection once a day usually
- Bone Infections by Staphylococcus aureus and Staphylococcus epidermidis most commonly
1-2 grams IV , once a day
- Septic Arthiritis: infection of joints commonly caused by Staphylococcus aureus, gram negative rods like eschericia, klebseilla, pseudomonas etc.
2 grams IV once a day
- Septicemia caused by E. coli, H. influenzae, Klebsiella species, P aeruginosa, Serratia species
2 grams every 8 hours
- Pre-surgical Prophylaxis given 30 minutes – 2 hours before surgery
2 grams IV
*Daily maximum safe dose: 4 grams
Pediatric Dosage (2 months – 12 years):
Infections of ear, lungs, skin etc. 50- 75mg/kg intravenous per day or in divided doses
Severe septicemia/sepsis or meningitis: 100 mg/kg once a day or in divided doses of 50 mg/kg every 12 hours
*Daily maximum safe dose: 2 grams
Doses must be adjusted keeping in mind comorbidities. Moreover, Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial is excreted mostly by kidney, therefore while administering the drug to elderly patients (65 years and above) careful consideration must be given to renal function while deciding upon the dose.
Pregnancy use and lactation
Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial is classified as Pregnancy category B drug by FDA (meaning no evidence of any risk to the human fetus in controlled animal trials but insufficient data is available). If you are pregnant, think you may be pregnant, or are planning to have a baby, please consult your doctor before using Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial. Also, Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial is also secreted in human milk, if you are breastfeeding, please consult your doctor before taking Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial.
Please inform your doctor if you have a history of any of these before using Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial:
- Allergic reaction to Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial or other cephalosporins
- Premature newborns (there’s a high risk of kernicterus in these babies)
- Neonates with jaundice or yellowing of eyes/skin
- Severe renal impairment
- Pre-existing gall bladder disease/ stones
Please tell your doctor about any of the following conditions while using Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial:
- Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial may cause hypersensitivity (allergy) to cephalosporins or penicillins
- Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial should is not recommended for use in infants under 2 months of age
- Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial must be used with caution (if at all) in severe renal function impairment or kidney or liver disease after dose adjustment
- If there’s a history of a Gastrointestinal disease such as colitis, inform your doctor before treatment
- Gall bladder stones/precipitates can form with the use of Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial alongside calcium-containing products, most commonly observed in pediatric patients
- Clostridium Difficle associated diarrhea can occur with the use of certain antibiotics. Immediately contact tor doctor
- Altered prothrombin time with prolonged antibiotic intake (inhibition of hemostasis) can occur, caution is advised
- Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial may interfere with your blood glucose levels, inform your doctor when taking a blood test
- Malnourishment or poor health status can increase the risk of side effects
- Before starting Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial pregnant and/or breastfeeding females should consult a doctor first
Interaction with other medications
Certain drugs may interact with and affect the efficacy of Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial or be influenced by it. Few of which are:
- Calcium containing solutions as infusion diluents (ringers solution. Hartmann solution, calcium acetate, etc)
- Anticoagulants such as warfarin, heparin
- Cholera Vaccine (Live)
- BCG Vaccine
Like most medicines, Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial has some side effects which include:
Common adverse effects
- Pain/ tenderness at the site of injection
- Indigestion (stomach ache)
- Mild rash
- Vaginal discharge
- Oral thrush (opportunistic fungal infection of mouth)
Less Common adverse effects
Immediately consult your doctor if you notice any of the following or worse signs:
- Hypersensitivity/allergic skin reactions; in this case discontinue
- Very rarely: pseudomembranous colitis (inflamed large intestine)
- Hemolytic anaemia (a blood cell disorder characterized by faster destruction than production of red blood cells)
- Encephalopathy (brain disease or damage).
- Watery or bloody diarrhea
- Cold clammy skin, discoloration/ numbness of fingers
- Shortness of breath
- Difficulty in urination
- Lower back pain
LIST OF HOW TO DEAL WITH ADVERSE EFFECTS
- Soreness at the site of injection- A cold compress can be used for 5 minutes to ease out the soreness.
- Fatigue- Patients experiencing this adverse effect, are advised to take deep breaths, intake tea or coffee,get a good night’s rest and not to overburden themselves for a few days.
- Feeling drowsy – If the medication makes you feel drowsy or sleepy,stop what you’re doing and sit or lie down until you feel better and do not rise too fast or immediately from a sitting or lying down position to a standing posture. Do not drive or use tools or machinery in case of any of these effects.
- Headaches- In which case make sure you rest and drink plenty of fluids. Avoid the use of alcohol. Take a prescribed painkiller. Consult your doctor if the headaches last longer than a week or are severe
- Feeling or being sick (nausea or vomiting) or diarrhea – Avoid eating rich or spicy food. It might help to take medication after food. If you’re sick, try drinking small, frequent sips of water.
- Feeling dizzy (lightheaded) or weak – If the medication makes you feel dizzy or weak, stop what you’re doing and sit or lie down until you feel better and do not rise too fast or immediately from sitting or lying down position to a standing posture. Do not drive or use tools or machinery in case of any of these effects.
- Muscular Aches And Pains- A hot or cold compress can be placed at the area of discomfort to bring relief;an over the counter pain reliever such as paracetamol or ibuprofen can be ingested to bring ease as well. Avoid high intensity exercise while suffering from muscular pain.
- Flatulence- Can be eased by consuming smaller,more frequent meals that don’t trigger your flatulence.Getting a minimum of 30 minutes of daily exercise has shown great results in combating flatulence.
- Heartburn – Can be dealt with by chewing on mint flavored gum that’ll help neutralize the acid in the body.Standing up straighter,adding ginger to the daily diet,elevating the patient’s upper body and having licorice supplements has shown to provide relief.
- Skin Rash- Can be eased by applying soothing and healing lotions or creams such as calamine lotion/cream.Apply a cold compress to the rash helps reduce itchiness and redness caused by rash.An antihistamine (prescribed by a doctor) is also recommended as an effective way to combat any skin rash.
- Blurred vision- This side effect tends to go away on its own if a few days;patients are advised to not operate heavy machinery or drive any motorized vehicles in the meantime.If blurred vision persists,please contact your doctor.
- Dehydration- Patients are recommended to always care around a water bottle with them wherever they go and periodically keep sipping to prevent thirst and extremely dry mouth. Ice pops in hot weather and energy drinks (verified by the doctor) are helpful in combating dehydration.
- Flu-like symptoms- To manage symptoms, patients are advised to drink plenty of fluids and get plenty of rest and sleep. Take an antihistamine, a nasal decongestant or a lozenge to feel better when needed.
- Redness Of The Skin- Can be combated by applying a cold pack to the affected area.
- Fever- patients are asked to ingest over the counter painkillers (such as Paracetamol),partake in plenty of fluids and rest for a couple of days till the symptoms pass
#1. WHAT EXACTLY DOES Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial DO?
It is a broad-spectrum antibiotic belonging to a class of drugs called cephalosporins (3rd generation) that prevent bacteria from forming a protective cell layer called cell wall, thereby killing them.
#2. HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial TO START WORKING?
It starts working almost immediately but it may take a few days to kill the disease-causing bacteria entirely and relieve you from the symptoms.
#3. HOW LONG WILL I HAVE TO TAKE Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial FOR?
The duration for using Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial depends on the type of infection you have, your age, and kidney function. It is usually taken once or twice a day for 7-14 days, as prescribed by the doctor. Even though your symptoms may improve, complete the prescribed course without skipping any doses to ensure the remaining bacteria are killed.
#4. CAN I STOP TAKING Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial?
Do not just stop taking the medicine, make sure to complete your antibiotic course even if you feel better to avoid bacterial resistance in the future.
#5. IS THERE ANY FOOD OR DRINK I NEED TO AVOID?
No, there is no food or drink that needs to be avoided while taking Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial unless advised by your physician.
#6. WHAT SHOULD I DO TO AVOID GASTRIC PROBLEMS?
You can avoid GI symptoms such as abdominal pain and diarrhea with this Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial by taking it with your meals.
#7. CAN I DRINK ALCOHOL WITH Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial?
Avoid drinking alcohol while you are on Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial as it may cause dizziness and headaches as a side effect.
#8. WHAT IF I TAKE TOO MUCH OF Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial?
If you have taken too much of the prescribed Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial you may experience common side effects like nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, stomach ache, headaches, dizziness, and at times a mild rash as a reaction to Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial; in which case inform your doctor immediately.
#9. WHAT IF I FORGET TO TAKE Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial?
In case you miss a dose, take your next dose on time and do not try making up for the missed dose by doubling it up. If it helps to remind you, set an alarm so you do not miss any dose. Make sure to complete your course of treatment even if you feel better and think you do not need to take it anymore.
#10. ARE THERE ANY TESTS REQUIRED WITH Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial?
Some of the tests may be done by your doctor to assess bacterial load and the impact of this drug. These can include culture sensitivity tests, blood glucose level, Blood CBC (to assess cell count), urinalysis, Prothrombin time.
#11. CAN I TAKE Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial DURING PREGNANCY OR BREASTFEEDING?
There is no evidence of Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial being unsafe during pregnancy or breastfeeding, however, it is better to inform your doctor if you are pregnant or breastfeeding before taking the medication.
#12. CAN THE USE OF Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial CAUSE DIARRHEA?
Yes, since Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial is an antibiotic that not only kills the harmful bacteria but can also affect the helpful bacteria in your stomach or intestine, it can cause diarrhea. If diarrhea persists, inform your doctor.
#13. IS Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial SAFE FOR KIDNEYS?
Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial is removed from the body majorly by kidneys which implies that renal adequacy should be sufficient otherwise it may increase the risk of drug accumulation and side effects. Therefore, it is advised to take Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial only when prescribed by your doctor and inform if you have pre-existing kidney disease.
#14. CAN I DRIVE OR RIDE A BIKE AFTER TAKING Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial?
Make sure you know how your body reacts while using ‘product’ as it is known to make you feel dizzy. Do not drive or use any machinery until you feel normal again.
#15. HOW SHOULD Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial BE STORED?
Keep the medicine at room temperature in a cool, dry place, away from direct sunlight. Glass vial (liquid) form is stored either at room temperature or in the refrigerator. Keep the container tightly closed. Discard any unused medicine after 14 days. Keep all medications away from children and pets. If the contents of the vial appear cloudy or discolored, do not use them.
#16. WILL IT AFFECT MY FERTILITY?
No, there is no evidence of infertility caused by Bestrix IV 250mg Injection 1 vial