Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S
- Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is prescribed to treat inflammation,pain and fever
- Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is also be prescribed to treat backache,migraine,menstrual cramps,toothaches and Rheumatoid Arthritis
- Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S contains Mefenamic Acid
- Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is taken orally (via mouth)
- Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is to be ingested under doctor’s advisement
- Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is prescribed to adults and children
- Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is to be used only when necessary
- Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is safe enough to be ingested 4-6 times a day
Mefenamic Acid 500 mg
How to use, Side effects, Uses, Formula & Composition
Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is a nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAIDs) and is available in tablet form. Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is used to treat moderately severe pain, such as headaches, muscular aches and pains, menstrual cramps, and dental pain. This medication reduces pain and inflammation while being taken, but it does not treat the underlying cause of the discomfort.
Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S contains Mefenamic acid as an active ingredient which is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug that has analgesic and antipyretic characteristics. It mainly works by inhibiting prostaglandin activity. This drug is usually indicated to treat mild to moderate pain in adults and children aged 14 and above for a short period of time (7 days or less).
Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is available in tablet form that is taken by mouth usually 1 to 4 times a day by an adult and 1 to 2 times a day by a child (above 12yrs) with or without food or as directed by your doctor. This medication can be taken with food or milk in case of stomach upset.
Do not recommend Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S to anyone even if they have the same ailment as you. If you’re getting urine testing, inform your doctor because Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S could impact the outcome. During treatment, your doctor may perform some blood tests.
Common side effects of this medicine include diarrhea, constipation, nausea, anorexia, flatulence, etc. Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S can increase the risk of fatal heart attack and stroke so avoid using it before or after heart bypass surgery (CABG/coronary artery bypass graft). NSAIDs like mefenamic acid can induce stomach ulcers, bleeding, and perforations in the intestine. These issues can arise at any point during therapy, without warning symptoms, and can result in death.
Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is used as:
1. Antiinflammatory analgesic for symptomatic relief of:
- Rheumatoid arthritis (including Stills disease)
- Muscular pain
- Traumatic pain
- Dental pain
- Headaches of most etiology
- Pyrexia in children
- Postoperative and postpartum pain
2. Menorrhagia (heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding) due to dysfunctional causes and presence of an IUD (intrauterine device)
3. Primary dysmenorrhea (severe menstrual cramps and pain)
This medication can be used for several other conditions not included in this prescription guide.
How Does Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S Work
Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S contains Mefenamic acid as an active ingredient. Mefenamic acid acts by inhibiting the activity of cyclo-oxygenase (COX) enzymes, which are found naturally. These enzymes aid in the production of prostaglandins, which are a type of molecule found in the body. Pain and inflammation are caused by prostaglandins, which are created at locations of injury or damage. Because COX enzymes are inhibited, fewer prostaglandins are created, reducing pain and inflammation.
How to use Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S
Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is available in tablet form. This medication in tablet form is taken by mouth usually 1 to 4 times a day by an adult and 1 to 2 times a day by a child (above 12yrs) with or without food or as directed by your doctor.
- Read all drug guides or instruction sheets and follow all guidelines on your prescription label. Your doctor may adjust your dose from time to time.
- By utilizing the lowest effective dose for the shortest time required to treat symptoms, undesirable effects can be reduced.
- Do not take more than the recommended amount of medication.
- This medication can be taken with food or milk in case of stomach upset.
- After taking the medication, avoid lying down for at least 10 minutes.
- It is not recommended to use mefenamic acid for more than 7 days.
- You may need frequent medical testing if you use Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S for a long time.
- Certain medical tests may be affected by this medication. Any doctor who treats you should be aware that you are taking Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S
Form and strength of Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S
Tablet – 250mg
The suggested adult dose (for those over 14 years old) is 500 mg for the first dose, followed by 250 mg every six hours as needed, with treatment lasting no more than one week.
Treatment for menstrual cramps is usually not required for more than two or three days.
Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is usually taken as two 500 mg capsules three times a day with meals.
This medication in tablet form is not recommended for children under 12 years of age. Children above 12 yrs can take 1-2 tablets per day.
The dosage for the elderly is the same as for adults. Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S has been administered at standard dosage in trials that included many old patients, although no pharmacokinetic or clinical investigations specifically for the elderly have been conducted.
Pregnancy and Lactation
Unless the hazards outweigh the benefits, this medicine should not be used during pregnancy.
- If you become pregnant while taking this drug, call your doctor right away.
- Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S used in the last three months of pregnancy may harm the baby or cause the mother to have prolonged labor and also increase the bleeding tendency. During this time, no mefenamic acid should be utilized.
- Because of the known effects of NSAIDs on the fetal cardiovascular system (risk of ductus arteriosus closure), Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is not recommended during the third trimester of pregnancy.
Mefenamic acid can be passed on to the baby through breast milk. Unless your doctor advises otherwise, you should not use Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S while breastfeeding.
Do not take Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S and consult your doctor if you have a medical history of any of the following:
- Allergic/hypersensitive to Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S and its contents, or any food product (such as pork, beef, etc)
- History of itchy skin rash, asthma, or any other allergic reactions after taking ASA (acetylsalicylic acid) or other NSAIDs (Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs)
- Have bleeding in the brain
- Stomach or intestinal conditions such as stomach bleeding, peptic ulcer, severe gastritis, etc
- Inflammatory bowel disease (eg. ulcerative colitis, Crohn’s disease)
- Heart, liver, or kidney problems
- Recent Bypass surgery
- Children under 12 years of age
- Hyperkalemia (excess potassium in the body)
- More than six months pregnant.
Take special care and please tell your doctor about any of the following conditions before using Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S:
- Taking any other NSAIDs (eg diclofenac, ibuprofen), anti-inflammatory medicines including steroids (such as Prednisolone) or Aspirin, or other blood thinners (such as Clopidogrel, Warfarin)
- Kidney or liver problems
- Pregnant or trying to become pregnant
- Elderly patients
- GIT (gastrointestinal) problems
- Systemic Lupus Erythematosus (SLE, a connective tissue disorder)
- Heart problems such as high blood pressure, high cholesterol, diabetes, or a chain smoker
- History of stroke
Interactions With Other Medications
Consult your doctor about the use of the following medicines before using Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S:
- Acetylsalicylic acid
- ACE angiotensin-converting enzymes inhibitors such as Ramipril
- Diuretics such as Triamterene, Spironolactone
- Corticosteroids such as Dexamethasone, Prednisone
This document does not contain all probable drug reactions, it is advisable to keep a list of medicines in use and discuss it with your doctor ( this includes prescription/nonprescription and herbal products).
Common Adverse Effects
Following side effects may not require immediate medical attention until becomes troublesome:
- Bleeding gums or signs of unusual bleeding such as nosebleeds
- Signs of Urinary tract problems such as
- Difficult, burning, or painful urination
- Bladder pain
- Bloody or cloudy urine
- Change in odor or color of urine
- Frequent urge to urinate
- Loss of bladder control
- Sudden large increase or decrease in the amount of urine
- Signs of severe acid reflux such as
- Difficulty in swallowing
- Cough or hoarseness
- Heartburn (burning feeling in the throat, chest, or stomach)
- Signs of liver problems such as
- Dark urine
- Pale stools
- Yellowing of skin or whites of the eye
- Loss of appetite
- Blurred vision
- Depression accompanied by suicidal thoughts, poor concentration, etc
- Ringing or buzzing in ears (Tinnitus)
This is by no means a complete list of possible negative effects. Contact your doctor or pharmacist if you experience any other side effects not listed above.
Rare Adverse Effects
Because Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S may induce serious and fatal infusion responses followed by cardiac collapse, the following side effects may require rapid attention and report to your doctor:
- Any sign of an allergic reaction (such as swelling of face, tongue, lips, and throat, hives, difficulty in breathing)
- Signs of infection such as
- fever or chills
- shortness of breath
- stiff neck
- weight loss
- severe diarrhea
- prolonged dizziness etc
- Signs of stomach bleeding such as
- Black, bloody, or tarry stools
- Spitting up blood
- Blood in vomiting or with material that resembles coffee grounds
- Heart problems such as
- Irregular heartbeat or pulse
- Difficulty in breathing
- Chest pain
- Signs of Meningitis not caused by infection such as Stiff neck or back
- Severe throbbing headache
- Severe skin reaction accompanied with blistering and peeling of skin
How To Cope With Some Of The Adverse Effects
- Feeling or being sick (nausea or vomiting) or diarrhea –Avoid eating rich or spicy food. It might help to take medication after food. If you’re sick, try drinking small, frequent sips of water.
- Indigestion, Heartburn, gas, or stomach pain – can be dealt with by chewing on mint-flavored gum that’ll help neutralize the acid in the body. Standing up straighter, adding ginger to the daily diet, elevating the patient’s upper body, and having licorice supplements has shown to provide relief. Try to take medicine with food.
- Fever- patients are asked to ingest over the counter painkillers (such as Paracetamol), partake in plenty of fluids, and rest for a couple of days till the symptoms pass
- Blurred vision- This side effect tends to go away on its own in a few days; patients are advised to not operate heavy machinery or drive any motorized vehicles in the meantime.If blurred vision persists, please contact your doctor.
- Dehydration- Patients are recommended to always care around a water bottle with them wherever they go and periodically keep sipping to prevent thirst and extremely dry mouth. Ice pops in hot weather and energy drinks (verified by the doctor) help combat dehydration.
#1. How to store Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
Keep Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S in a container at room temperature. Protect from heat. Store in a cool, dry location. keep all medications in a secure location and should be kept out of the reach of children and pets.
#2. What if I take too much of Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
In case of too much consumption contact, your doctor immediately as Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S may cause stomach pain or tenderness, diarrhoea, muscular twitches, seizures (fits), confusion, dizziness, or hallucination
#3. What if I miss a dose of Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
If you miss a dose of the medication, make sure you take it as soon as possible on that same day. If you don’t remember you missed the dose until the next dosage time or the next day, do not double the dose and take your medication as per schedule.
#4. will Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S affect my fertility??
Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is not suggested in women who are trying to conceive since it may decrease female fertility. Withdrawal of mefenamic acid should be considered in women who are having trouble conceiving or who are undergoing infertility investigations.
#5. Can Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S cause dizziness? if so, how should I manage it?
Yes. It can cause dizziness as one of the most common side effects. If this happens, you should sit or lie down until the symptoms pass. However, please note this is temporary and usually goes away as the treatment continues. It is also advised to avoid the consumption of alcohol during the period of your treatment, as it may worsen the dizziness.
#6. How long will I have to continue taking the medication?
Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is prescribed to be applied for 7 days or as advised by your doctor.
#7. Can I consume alcohol with Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
Alcohol is known to make an individual dizzy, thus if taken with the medication may lead to extreme dizziness. It is best to avoid the intake of alcohol during the period of your treatment. Alcohol can also increase the risk of gastrointestinal complications while using Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S.
#8. Can I drive after taking this medication?
This drug has a history of making people dizzy, so if this happens to you, don’t drive or use any heavy machinery.
#9. Can Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S be administered to infants?
No, Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S is not recommended for infants
#10. What lab tests will be prescribed while treatment with Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
Adjunct laboratory tests may be performed to help select the appropriate dosage (such as blood tests, liver, and kidney function).
#11. What dietary instructions are to be followed when using Ponstan Forte 500mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
Continue to eat normally until your doctor tells you to switch to a specific diet.