Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S
Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S is used to treat psychoses, anxiety and depressive disorders, but also used for Gastric reflux and indigestion due to some conditions.
Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S is chemically composed of Levosulpiride.
Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S is taken orally as per doctors recommendation depending on your condition.
Drug category: D2 receptor blocker
Levosulpiride 25 mg
Pacific Pharmaceuticals Ltd
How to use, Side effects, Uses, Formula & Composition
Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S is a neuroleptic drug with multiple applications, primarily used to treat gastric problems. It acts as a prokinetic agent l which helps improve motility problems in the gut and consequently treats some gastric conditions as well such as gastritis and dyspepsia, caused by delayed emptying of your gut. Other conditions which benefit from this medicine include anxiety, schizophrenia, vertigo, Premature ejaculation in males, etc.
Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S is chemically composed of Levosulpiride, a chemical known to promote gastric muscle contractions, aiding digestion. This action comes through its negative effects on dopamine receptors, providing a steady release of acetylcholine responsible for smooth muscle contractions.
Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S is available in tablet form which is consumed orally usually before a meal two to three times daily or as suggested by the doctor. The dose is dependent on the condition being treated and adjusted accordingly, make sure to follow the doctor’s prescription. It can be safely prescribed to adults above 18 years of age and contraindicated in younger children and pregnant women. Drowsiness, fatigue, sweating, and heart rate changes are some of the side effects observed with Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S.
Enlisted below are some indications for which Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S is prescribed:
- Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Irritable bowel syndrome
- Anxiety disorder
- Somatoform disorders
- Emesis (vomiting/nausea)
- Premature ejaculation
How Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S Works
Acetylcholine is an important neurotransmitter involved in stimulating smooth muscle contraction, secretions of the body, and regulation of heart rate. Dopamine, another neurological chemical substance, can essentially antagonize the neurons which release acetylcholine.
Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S shows its therapeutic effect by two mechanisms. Firstly, the main action of Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S comes through its anti-dopamine activity as it shows selective antagonism of D2 receptors on presynaptic membranes in the brain. Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S blocks the dopamine-induced inhibition of acetylcholine in the upper gastrointestinal tract, allowing sustained acetylcholine-induced contraction peristalsis. Secondly, it also acts as serotonin (5-HT4) receptor agonist which together with antagonism at D2 receptors, contributes to its gastrointestinal prokinetic action.
How to use Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S
Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S is available in the form of oral tablets. Swallow the tablet with a glass of water without chewing before taking a meal. Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S is preferably taken at the same time every day till the prescribed time to always maintain equal blood levels.
Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S is taken orally in tablet form as per recommended doses. For gastric-related problems, it is usually 2-3 times a day before a meal. For mental health issues, doctors set the dose according to the individual’s requirement. Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S should be taken at a set time and for the prescribed length of time, not exceeding it.
Dose And Strength
- Levosulpiride 25mg
- Levosulpiride 50 mg
Taken orally 3 times per day, before a meal
Not recommended for children under 18 years of age
Follow the doctor’s prescription. In elderly patients due to other health conditions Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S may cause fluctuation in blood pressure and heart rate besides other side effects which must be regularly monitored.
Pregnancy use and Lactation
Regarding the safety of Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S consult your doctor first if you are pregnant, trying to conceive, or are breastfeeding an infant. Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S has limited safety data available and must not be taken without consulting a doctor first.
Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S should not be prescribed under the following circumstances:
- Allergy to the content of Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S
- Gastric bleeding
- Mechanical obstruction of GI tract
- Pheochromocytoma (adrenal gland tumor)
- Maniac psychoses
- Neuroleptic malignant syndrome
- Breast cancer
- Any changes in breast tissue
- Patients under 18 years of age
Please tell your doctor about any of the following conditions before starting or during the treatment with Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S:
- Caution is advised if you have a history of drug allergies
- Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S must be used with extra care in patients with heart disease or arrhythmias, this drug cause changes in heart rate
- While using Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S keep in mind, that it may alter your Prolactin hormone levels (which cause breast milk secretion). Watch out for galactorrhea or any abnormal changes or enlargement in breast tissue
- Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S must be used with caution in patients with a history of long-standing depression and anxiety and avoided in psychoses all together
- Patients suffering from chronic gut disease must be careful, especially those with a history or an existing Gastrointestinal Perforation/ bleeding
- Due to unknown harmful effects Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S may have in pregnant females and breastfed infants, consult your doctor first regarding the safety of Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S
- Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S must be used with great care in patients with a history of asthma. In case you feel respiratory side effects, report to your doctor
- Alcohol consumption may potentiate the side effects, it must be avoided or restricted with Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S
- History of recent surgical treatment or a scheduled surgery shortly
- history of epilepsy or any other type of seizure.
Interaction with other medications
Following drugs can have some interactions with Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S and can potentiate or reduce the effects when used concomitantly:
- Antifungals such as fluconazole, clotrimazole
Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S can have some undesired side effects, make sure to consult your physician in case your symptoms worsen. Some of these side effects are:
Common Side effects
- Changes in heart rate
Rare side effects
- Anaphylactic reaction
- Breast tenderness
- Irregular menstrual cycle
- Weight gain
- Profuse sweating
- Decreased libido
- Cardiac arrest
- Changes in Blood Pressure
- Behavior changes
List Of How to Deal with Adverse Effects
- Fatigue – Patients experiencing this adverse effect are advised to take deep breaths, intake tea or coffee, get a good night’s rest, and not overburden themselves for a few days.
- Drowsiness – If the medication makes you feel drowsy or sleepy, stop what you’re doing and sit or lie down until you feel better, and do not rise too fast or immediately from a sitting or lying down position to a standing posture. Do not drive or use tools or machinery in case of any of these effects.
- Headaches- In which case make sure you rest and drink plenty of fluids. Avoid the use of alcohol. Take a prescribed painkiller. Consult your doctor if the headaches last longer than a week or are severe
- Feeling or being sick (nausea or vomiting) or diarrhea – Avoid eating rich or spicy food. It might help to take medication after food. If you’re sick, try drinking small, frequent sips of water.
- Feeling dizzy (lightheaded) or weak – If the medication makes you feel dizzy or weak, stop what you’re doing and sit or lie down until you feel better, and do not rise too fast or immediately from sitting or lying down to a standing posture. Do not drive or use tools or machinery in case of any of these effects.
- Heartburn – This can be dealt with by chewing on mint-flavored gum that’ll help neutralize the acid in the body. Standing up straighter, adding ginger to the daily diet, elevating the patient’s upper body, and having licorice supplements has shown to provide relief.
#1. How Does Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S Work?
Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S shows antidopaminergic activity on dopamine receptors, providing a steady release of acetylcholine responsible for smooth muscle contractions and regulation of heart rate.
#2. For How Long Should I Take Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S is taken as per doctors’ recommendation, depending on your condition. The commonly prescribed duration may vary from 4-to 8 weeks. Follow your prescription completely.
#3. Is Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S Highly Addictive?
No, it is not considered to be addictive and does not cause any dependence (physical and psychological)
#4. Can I Drink Alcohol With Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
Consuming alcohol when taking Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S may cause excessive drowsiness and could increase the risk of side effects, hence should be avoided or restricted.
#5. What If I Take Too Much Of Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
If you have taken too much of the prescribed Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S you may experience symptoms of overdose, for example, fast or irregular heartbeat, upset stomach, blurred vision, fainting, dizziness, abdominal pain, or life-threatening severe symptoms. Contact your doctor or rush to the nearby emergency immediately if you have any of these symptoms.
#6. What If I Forget To Take Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S is taken 2-3 times a day so you can take the missed dose as soon as you remember unless it’s less than 12 hours until your next dose, in which case you should skip the missed dose. If it helps to remind you, set an alarm or use a pill organizer or a mobile application so you do not miss any dose. Make sure to complete your course of treatment even if you feel better and think you do not need to take it anymore.
#7. Can I Take Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S During Pregnancy or Breastfeeding?
Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S has a safety concern for pregnant and lactating infants. If you are pregnant, think you may be pregnant, or are planning to start a family, please consult your doctor before using Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S. Also, if you are breastfeeding, please consult your doctor before taking Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S.
#8. Can I Drive or Ride a Bike After Taking Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S is known to cause drowsiness and dizziness so make sure you know how your body reacts while using Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S. Do not drive or use any machinery/sharp tools until you feel normal again
#9. How Should Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S Be Stored?
Store it at room temperature, away from excess heat, direct sunlight, and moisture. Make sure it is not consumed by pets, children, and other people. Dispose of unused medicine when treatment is over.
#10. Will Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S Affect My Sexual Activity?
In some patients Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S has reportedly caused a decrease in libido. Discuss with your doctor if you are concerned or experience this side effect
#11. Will Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S Affect My Fertility?
Hyperprolactinemia may be one of the side effects, which results in disturbances in the menstrual cycle, and lack of ovulation/ infertility among other reproductive disturbances. Kindly discuss the concerns with your doctor in detail.
#12. Do I Need to Undergo Any Tests While Taking Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
Your doctor may like to start Levopraid 25mg Tablet 10 ‘S by checking your prolactin levels. This should also be kept in check during therapy through lab tests. Also, check your blood pressure and pulse regularly especially if you have a history of heart disease.