Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S
- Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S is prescribed to treat high blood pressure and kidney disease in patients with diabetes
- Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S is safe to be prescribed to adults and children aged 6 years and above
- Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S is taken orally (via mouth) once daily
- Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S contains Losartan which is angiotensin II receptor blocker
Losartan Potassium 50 mg
How to use, Side effects, Uses, Formula & Composition
Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S is prescribed to patients with high blood pressure (normal blood pressure for adult’s is usually 120/80 mmHg) to reduce the strain on the heart muscles and allows the heart to pump blood at its normal pace.Hypertension left untreated can cause severe damage to the brain, heart, kidney,blood vessels and other body organs.High blood pressure is also caused by narrowing of the arteries (blood vessels that take blood to the organs) thus this medicine helps prevent the decrease in diameter of the vessels keeping them healthy and working efficiently.Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S can be prescribed to patients who have high blood pressure,who have recently suffered from a heart attack (stroke) and to patients who experience kidney diseases caused by diabetes.
Despite its great many benefits,Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S is not prescribed to patients under the age of 6 years, nor is it prescribed to women who are pregnant,lactating or trying to conceive.Please note that before intaking any medicine of any kind it is imperative that it be discussed with the doctor who is aware of your medical history.Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S is to be stored away from direct sunlight at room temperature and kept away from moisture.
Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S has mild side effects which are commonly present in patient’s in the early days of the treatment such as dizziness,drowsiness, stomach problems (nausea and vomiting) and postural hypotension. Along with this drug making lifestyle changes that include a healthy balanced diet that is low in fat and sodium (salt), exercise everyday for 30 minutes, ceasing tobacco (cigarette) consumption and decreasing the intake of alcohol really helps improve the patient’s prognosis.
While undergoing treatment with the Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S,the physician may ask the patient to get certain lab work done periodically to monitor the effects of the drug on the patient’s body and monitor the patient’s blood pressure regularly.Accordingly the physician may change the dosage of the drug prescribed.
Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S can be used to treat:
- High blood pressure
- Reduce the risk of stroke in patients of heart disease
- Reduce kidney impairment in patients suffering from type 2 diabetes
How Does Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S Work
This drug belongs to a group of drugs known as Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers. Angiotensin is a natural hormone found in the body that works by narrowing the blood vessels in the human body.Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S works by inhibiting angiotensin from performing its duties and therefore preventing the narrowing of blood vessels and aiding the free and proper flow of blood to the organs and through the blood vessels.
How To Use Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S
Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S is available in oral (tablet) form and the dosage can differ from patient to patient depending upon the patient’s weight,the stage of illness and the patient’s response to the given dose.Commonly this drug is prescribed to be taken once daily.The first dose to be taken before bedtime as it may cause drowsiness after that the patient may ingest the medicine daily at whatever time convenient,it is advised that patient’s use daily reminders or alarms so as to not miss a single dose.
If Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S is used to treat hypertension in adults then the daily dose is 50 mg.Commonly once daily but the doctor may change the dose depending on the patient’s response to treatment.If Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S is used to decrease the risk of stroke or future strokes in patients with hypertension and increased heart size then the daily dose is 50 mg; the doctor may add another medicine in combination to Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S in such scenarios to help bring about better or faster results.For treatment of diabetic neuropathy,a single dose daily is prescribed.Alterations can be made in future depending on the patient’s blood pressure levels.
For children from ages 6 to 16, the daily dosage depends on the child’s body weight and their response to the treatment but the dose does not exceed 50 mg.Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S is not recommended to patients aged under 6 years of age.
For patients over the age of 75 years,Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S’s dosage may be lower than usual.If after a few weeks the patient’s blood pressure levels do not decrease the physician may increase the patient’s dosage.
Pregnancy Use And Lactation
Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S is not to be taken or prescribed to expecting and lactating mothers as it may have fatal consequences for the unborn child.If you are taking the drug and become pregnant,inform your doctor immediately.Small amounts of Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S can be transferred to the child through breast milk and therefore cause low blood pressure in the child thus Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S isn’t recommended to lactating mothers.If you are planning to conceive and are taking Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S as treatment,then refer to the doctor.The physician is likely to change your medicine and dosage.
Please tell your doctor if you have a history of any of the following before using Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S:
- Allergic reaction to losartan or any other drug or ingredient
- Heart disease (stroke, heart attack)
- Kidney disease
- Kidney transplant
- Stomach ailments (diarrhea and/or vomiting)
- Liver disease (cirrhosis)
- Unbalanced electrolytes ( low levels of sodium or potassium in the body)
Please tell your doctor about any of the following conditions before using Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S:
- Angioedema (swelling just under the skin or mucous membrane)
- Hepatic impairment (liver damage)
- Renal impairment (kidney damage)
- Intravascular volume depletion (reduced effective circulating volume in the intravascular space)
- Renal artery stenosis (narrowing of the arteries carrying blood to the kidneys)
- Kidney transplantation
- Primary aldosteronism (excessive aldosterone production from the adrenal glands)
- Outflow obstruction
- Cardiomyopathy (long-term disease of the heart muscle).
Please monitor serum potassium in the elderly and in renal impairment (kidney damage) before taking the Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S.
Interactions With Other Medications
Please tell your doctor about the use of the following before using Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S:
- K+ -sparing diuretics (Spironolactone,Amiloride)
- K+ supplements
- Fluconazole (Prescribed for fungal infections)
- NSAIDs (Aspirin, Ibuprofen,Naproxen)
- Other antihypertensives (for lowering increased blood pressure)
- Lithium (Prescribed for bipolar and/or depression)
Like most medicines,Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S has certain side effects which include:
Common Adverse Effects
- Orthostatic effects (reduced blood pressure on change of posture i.e. standing)
- Liver function abnormalities
- Myalgia (muscle pain)
- Migraine (recurrent headaches)
- Urticaria (sudden appearance of red bumps on the skin)
- Pruritus (itchy skin)
Rare Adverse Effects
- Anaphylactic reactions (serious allergic reactions)
- Angioedema (swelling just under the skin or mucous membrane)
- Vasculitis (inflamed blood vessels)
- Hepatitis (inflamed liver)
- Anaemia (low hemoglobin)
- Hypotension (reduced blood pressure)
- Renal impairment (kidney damage)
- Increased blood urea, creatinine and potassium
How To Cope With Some Of The Adverse Effects
- Feeling dizzy or weak – if Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S makes you feel dizzy or weak,stop what you’re doing and sit or lie down until you feel better.Do not drive or use tools or machinery in case of any of these effects.
- Feeling or being sick (nausea or vomiting) or diarrhoea – avoid eating rich or spicy food.It might help to take medication after food.If you’re being sick, try drinking small, frequent sips of water.If you have diarrhoea, replenish with plenty of water or other fluids.
- Lightheadedness upon standing – in case of sitting or lying down for a long time, the patient is asked to rise slowly to reduce effects of lightheadedness
- Headaches – in which case make sure you rest and drink plenty of fluids. Avoid the use of alcohol.Take a prescribed painkiller.Consult your doctor if the headaches last longer than a week or are severe.
- Itchiness on the skin– can be easily controlled by moisturizing daily with a cream or lotion that provides coolness and soothes the skin.
Key Facts About Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S
- Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S prevents the narrowing of blood vessels and allowing easy passage to the blood through the blood vessels and to the organs
- Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S is not recommended to pregnant and lactating mothers or to women planning on starting a family
- A tablet is prescribed per day,the first dose is to be taken before bed time as it may cause drowsiness
- Common adverse effects of Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S are fatigue and dizziness but they dont last for more than a day or two of starting the drug
- Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S is safe to use in children over the age of 6 for the treatment of hypertension.
#1.HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE FOR Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S TO START WORKING?
Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S takes up to 6 hours to lower raised blood pressure levels ,in severe cases it may take up to 3-6 weeks.You may not feel different right away hence, it’s important you keep taking the medication.
#2.HOW LONG WILL I HAVE TO CONTINUE TAKING THE MEDICATION?
It is a long-term treatment and you might have to continue taking the medication even for the rest of your life.
#3.CAN I CONSUME ALCOHOL WITH Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
Alcohol is also known to lower your blood pressure which if taken with the medication may lead to extreme dizziness. It is best to avoid the intake of alcohol during the course of your treatment.
#4.CAN I DRIVE AFTER TAKING Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S is known to make you dizzy hence, if that happens kindly avoid driving or operating any heavy machinery.
#5.CAN LIFESTYLE CHANGES HELP ME WITH MY CONDITION?
Yes. you can adopt certain healthy lifestyle changes in order to help with high blood pressure.These include quitting smoking, avoiding alcohol, eating a wholesome diet consisting of fresh vegetables and fruits with the cut down of salt, and incorporating physical activity in your daily routine.
#6.CAN Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S CAUSE DIZZINESS? IF SO, HOW SHOULD I MANAGE IT?
Yes.It can cause dizziness as one of the most common side effects.If this happens, you should sit or lie down until the symptoms pass.However, please note this is temporary and usually goes away as the treatment continues.It is also advised to avoid the consumption of alcohol during the course of your treatment, as it may worsen the dizziness.
#7.CAN I TAKE Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S DURING MY PREGNANCY?
No.Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S has been known to cause harm to the fetus and cause complications during your pregnancy.Hence,it is advised to consult your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or may think you are pregnant.
#8.WHAT WILL HAPPEN IF I STOP TAKING Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
Kindly consult your doctor before stopping the medication.Discontinuing the use of the medication may lead to an increase in blood pressure resulting in an increased risk of heart attack and stroke.
#9.WHAT IF I TAKE TOO MUCH OF Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
In case of too much consumption by accident,kindly contact your doctor or nearby hospital straight away.The amount of medication that can result in severe side effects varies from person to person. An overdose results in slowing down of heart rate and difficulty breathing accompanied by dizziness and fainting spells
#10.WHAT IF I FORGET TO TAKE Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
If you miss a dose of Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S,make sure you take it as soon as possible on that same day.If you don’t remember you missed the dose until the next day, do not double the dose and take your medication as per schedule as that will lead to serious adverse effects. If this happens very often,try setting an alarm as a reminder.
#11.IS IT SAFE TO HAVE Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S BEFORE UNDERGOING ANY SURGICAL PROCEDURE?
If the surgical procedure involves general anesthesia, the surgeon may ask the patient to stop their intake of the drug for 24 hours as general anesthesia also tends to lower blood pressure levels in a few patients.
#12.DOES Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S CAUSE ADDICTION?
Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S has shown no evidence to prove addiction of any kind in any patient.
#13.HOW DOES Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S WORK?
Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S works by inhibiting angiotensin from performing its duties and therefore preventing the narrowing of blood vessels and aiding the free and proper flow of blood to the organs and through the blood vessels.
#14.HOW IS Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S SUPPOSED TO BE TAKEN?
Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S can be ingested orally (from the mouth) either with or without food and is to be taken with water to ease the medicine into the throat
#15.IS Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S BAD FOR THE KIDNEYS?
Yes.Qsartan 50mg Tablet 10 ‘S has shown evidence of renal (kidney) impairment especially in patients already suffering from chronic kidney disease and severe heart failure.