AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S
AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S is prescribed for the treatment of hypertension (high blood pressure)
AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S contains irbesartan (angiotensin receptor blocker)
AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S is to be taken orally (via mouth)
AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S is prescribed to adults only
AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S is to be administered under doctor’s advisement
Irbesartan 150 mg
Ethical Laboratories (Pvt) Ltd
How to use, Side effects, Uses, Formula & Composition
This drug is prescribed to patients with high blood pressure (normal blood pressure for adult’s is usually 120/80 mmHg) and to patients with kidney diseases and diabetes type 2 who are suffering from hypertension.Hypertension left untreated can cause severe damage to the brain, heart, kidney,blood vessels and other body organs.High blood pressure is also caused by narrowing of the arteries (blood vessels that take blood to the organs) thus AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S helps prevent the decrease in diameter of the vessels keeping them healthy and working efficiently.
One tablet daily is the usual prescribed dose.AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S is to be taken regularly,preferably at the same time each day to help the patient remember their daily dose.The patient ought to discuss with their physician before ceasing intake of the medicine even if the patient is no longer suffering from common symptoms of the hypertension,as ceasing the intake of the medicine has reported in cases of rebound hypertension (the re-emergence of high blood pressure),therefore,physicians taper off the AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S’s dosage before completely stopping it.
AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S might show mild side effects such as headaches,dizziness and stomach problems which resolve on their own in a few days’ time.AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S is not safe to be prescribed to pregnant or lactating mothers.While undergoing treatment with AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S,the physician may ask the patient to get certain lab work done periodically to monitor the effects of the drug on the patient’s body and monitor the patient’s blood pressure and potassium levels regularly.Accordingly the physician may change the dosage of the drug prescribed.
AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S can be used to treat:
- Hypertension (High Blood Pressure)
- Reduce the risk of stroke in patients of heart disease
- Reduce kidney impairment in patients suffering from type 2 diabetes
How Does AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S Work
This drug belongs to a group of drugs known as Angiotensin II Receptor Blockers.Angiotensin is a natural hormone found in the body that works by narrowing the blood vessels in the human body.AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S works by inhibiting angiotensin from performing its duties and therefore preventing the narrowing of blood vessels and aiding the free and proper flow of blood to the organs and through the blood vessels.
How To Use AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S
A tablet of AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S is prescribed per day to be taken orally (by mouth) either with or without food.AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S’s dosage may differ for each patient as the treatment regime for each patient depends upon their weight,stage of illness,each patient’s response to AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S and any pre-existing medical condition a patient might have.AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S is not prescribed to patients under the age of 18 years nor is it prescribed to expecting,lactating mothers nor to women who are planning to start a family.
The first dose of AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S is recommended to be taken a few hours before bedtime as AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S may cause drowsiness.It is advised to not stop treatment abruptly without consulting a doctor as the risk of heart failure and stroke is significantly increased without the drug.If you miss a dose of the medication,make sure you take it as soon as possible on that same day.If you don’t remember you missed the dose until the next day,do not double the dose and take your medication as per schedule as that will lead to serious adverse effects.If this happens very often,try setting an alarm as a reminder.
- If the drug is used to treat hypertension in adults then the daily dose is 150mg.Commonly once daily but the doctor may change the dose depending on the patient’s response to treatment
- If AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S is used to decrease the risk of stroke or future strokes in patients with hypertension and increased heart size then the daily dose is 150mg;the doctor may add another medicine in combination to AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S in such scenarios to help bring about better or faster results.
- For treatment of diabetic neuropathy,a single dose daily is prescribed.Alterations can be made in future depending on the patient’s blood pressure levels.
For patients over the age of 75 years,the drug’s dosage may be lower than usual.If after a few weeks the patient’s blood pressure levels do not decrease the physician may increase the patient’s dosage.
Pregnancy Use And Lactation
This drug is not to be taken or prescribed to expecting and lactating mothers as it may have fatal consequences for the unborn child.If you are taking the drug and become pregnant,inform your doctor immediately.If you are planning to conceive and are taking AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S as treatment, then refer to the doctor.The physician is likely to change your medicine and dosage.
Please tell your doctor if you have a history of any of the following before using AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S:
- Primary aldosteronism (excessive production of hormone aldosterone from adrenal glands).
- Allergic reaction to AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S or any other drug or ingredient
- Severe hepatic impairment (liver damage)
- On a low-sodium diet
- Potassium Supplements
- Renal impairment (kidney damage)
Please tell your doctor about any of the following conditions before using AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S:
- Patients who are volume and Na depleted by vigorous diuretic therapy, dietary salt restriction, diarrhoea or vomiting
- Renovascular hypertension (high blood pressure caused by kidney’s hormonal response to narrowing of arteries supplying the kidneys)
- Renal impairment (kidney damage) and kidney transplantation
- Aortic or mitral stenosis (heart valve narrowing) or obstructive hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (abnormal thickening of heart muscle)
- Primary aldosteronism (excessive production of hormone aldosterone from adrenal glands)
- Hypertensive (high blood pressure) patients with type II diabetes (disorder characterized by high blood sugar) and renal (kidney) disease
- Hyperkalaemia (increased blood potassium level).
Please note that use of AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S may impair ability to drive or operate machinery.
Interactions With Other Medications
Please tell your doctor about the use of the following before using AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S:
- K+ -sparing diuretics (Spironolactone,Amiloride)
- K+ supplements
- NSAIDs (Aspirin, Ibuprofen,Naproxen)
- Lithium (Prescribed for bipolar and/or depression)
- Skeletal muscle relaxants.
- Oral contraceptives
- Other antihypertensives (for lowering increased blood pressure).
Common Adverse Effects
Like most medicines,AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S has certain side effects which include:
- Orthostatic effects (reduced blood pressure on change of posture i.e.standing)
- Heart burn
- Myalgia (muscle pain)
- Migraine (recurrent headaches)
Rare Adverse Effects
If any of the following adverse effects are seen or felt,the patient is advised to immediately contact their doctor.
- Anaphylactic reactions (serious allergic reactions)
- Angioedema (swelling just under the skin or mucous membrane)
- Vasculitis (inflamed blood vessels)
- Hepatitis (inflamed liver)
- Anaemia (low hemoglobin)
- Hypotension (reduced blood pressure),
- Renal impairment (kidney damage)
- Increased blood urea, creatinine and potassium.
How To Cope With Some Of The Adverse Effects
- Headaches– In which case make sure you rest and drink plenty of fluids.Avoid the use of alcohol.Take a prescribed painkiller.Consult your doctor if the headaches last longer than a week or are severe.
- Feeling dizzy or weak -If the medication makes you feel dizzy or weak, stop what you’re doing and sit or lie down until you feel better and do not rise too fast or immediately from a sitting or lying down position to a standing posture. Do not drive or use tools or machinery in case of any of these effects.
- Feeling or being sick (nausea or vomiting) or diarrhoea -Avoid eating rich or spicy food.It might help to take medication after food.If you’re being sick,try drinking small,frequent sips of water.If you have diarrhoea,replenish with plenty of water or other fluids.
- Fatigue – Patients are advised to have a healthy diet with a healthy balance of fruits and vegetables to help reduce fatigue in patients.
Key Facts About AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S
- This medicine prevents the narrowing of blood vessels and allowing easy passage to the blood through the blood vessels and to the organs
- This medicine is not recommended to pregnant and lactating mothers or to women planning on starting a family
- A tablet is prescribed per day ,the first dose is to be taken before bed time as it may cause drowsiness
- Common adverse effects of the AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S are fatigue and dizziness but they dont last for more than a day or two of starting the drug
- AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S is safe to use in patients over the age of 18 years.
#1.HOW LONG WILL I HAVE TO CONTINUE TAKING THE MEDICATION?
It is a long-term treatment and you might have to continue taking the medication even for the rest of your life.
#2.CAN I CONSUME ALCOHOL WITH AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
Alcohol is also known to lower your blood pressure which if taken with the medication may lead to extreme dizziness.It is best to avoid the intake of alcohol during the course of your treatment.
#3.CAN LIFESTYLE CHANGES HELP ME WITH MY CONDITION?
Yes. you can adopt certain healthy lifestyle changes in order to help with high blood pressure.These include quitting smoking,avoiding alcohol,eating a wholesome diet consisting of fresh vegetables and fruits with the cut down of salt, and incorporating physical activity in your daily routine.
#4.CAN I TAKE AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S DURING MY PREGNANCY?
No. This medication has been known to cause harm to the fetus and cause complications during your pregnancy.Hence, it is advised to consult your doctor if you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant or may think you are pregnant.
#5.WHAT IF I TAKE TOO MUCH OF AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
In case of too much consumption by accident, kindly contact your doctor or nearby hospital straight away.The amount of medication that can result in severe side effects varies from person to person.An overdose results in slowing down of heart rate and difficulty breathing accompanied by dizziness and fainting spells.
#6.WHAT IF I FORGET TO TAKE THE AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S?
If you miss a dose of the medication, make sure you take it as soon as possible on that same day.If you don’t remember you missed the dose until the next day,do not double the dose and take your medication as per schedule as that will lead to serious adverse effects.If this happens very often,try setting an alarm as a reminder.
#7.IS IT SAFE TO HAVE AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S BEFORE UNDERGOING ANY SURGICAL PROCEDURE?
If the surgical procedure involves general anesthesia, the surgeon may ask the patient to stop their intake of the drug for 24 hours as general anesthesia also tends to lower blood pressure levels in a few patients.
#8.DOES AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S CAUSE ADDICTION?
No.This drug has shown no evidence to prove addiction of any kind in any patient.
#9.HOW DOES AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S WORK?
AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S works by inhibiting angiotensin from performing its duties and therefore preventing the narrowing of blood vessels and aiding the free and proper flow of blood to the organs and through the blood vessels.
#10.HOW IS AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S SUPPOSED TO BE TAKEN?
The medicine can be ingested orally (from the mouth) either with or without food and is to be taken with water to ease the medicine into the throat.
#11.WILL AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S INTERFERE WITH ORAL CONTRACEPTIVES?
There is no evidence showing that AHT 150mg Tablet 10 ‘S causes any problems when taken along with oral contraceptives. Inform the doctor of the oral contraceptives being taken as a few contraceptives medicines are not recommended for women with high blood pressure.
#12.CAN I DRIVE AFTER TAKING THIS MEDICATION?
This medication is known to make you dizzy hence, if that happens kindly avoid driving or operating any heavy machinery.